In a very unscientific survey, using a small sample we scored as follows in the following areas (these are just the high and low questions):
Our church has a clear, written vision statement that pictures our desired future
Our church has completed a spiritual and demographic analysis of our target group and can describe the community’s hopes, fears and values (with notes that we are currently working on this)
Our Church plans outreach events such as special events, guest speakers, and topical sermon series.
We have an easy-to-navigate website with its own domain name that close matches the name of the church, providing essential information about us and clear communication about our identity.
Our church has allocated funds for local outreach programs, events and tools.
Our church has a paid or volunteer outreach director overseeing an outreach team.
We provide quality childcare and Sunday school activities for children, and a youth program for teens.
Attenders are contacted after their visit by phone, letter or thank-you card.
Our entrance is visible from the street and well-marked.
Our leadership structure is designed to facilitate outreach through a minimum of red tape and a clear priority to outreach.
Our outreach team has a budget for advertising, direct mail, and other tools and can easily access the funds.
Barriers to Outreach
***Newcomers are not limited to a single point-of-entry, but are given multiple entry points in addition to our Sunday service, such as special events, women’s groups, small groups, children’s programs, and fin arts program***
Barriers to Outreach
Newcomers are not expected to find the church only on their own, but are actively invited to attend by their church friends who have been trained to use specially designed invitations.
Past Ideas for Evangelism
* Welcome Fest – Rich Krizner & George organized – Band played out front, speakers, t-shirts, food activities invited the local community
* Flea Market – put an invitation to worship in each bag sold
* Sheparding Team – if people haven’t come in a while would follow up with them
* Outside signs for special programs, inviting the community to join us
* Nursery School
* Pastor Al was involved in community programs: Rotary, Interfaith Hospitality Network
* Offering various book studies/guest speakers
* New Members class
* Super Greeters
* Sunday Outreach Callers
* Social Videos groups etc. the more people talk about UDLC the better
Future Ideas for Evangelism
* Volunteer Coordinator (perhaps 2 or more) – volunteer to match up new members with existing ministries so that they can be involved in a timely manner
* Event Coordinator – someone who would welcome groups to our church, show them where the bathrooms are, explain that if they move or unplug something they MUST put it back the way they found it prior to leaving, smiling as they say it.
* Re-launch/Rename the Evangelism committee (to Outreach committee?) – new Pastor could be involved in this, find new chairperson invite members to be involved and hold meetings again. Some members of this committee have expressed a desire to help re-launch the team
* Educate congregation on what exactly Evangelism is (everything we do) and that you don’t have to go to Seminary to share your faith.
* Divide and conquer, make the tasks for outreach small enough that one person isn’t burdened with everything and each person makes a contribution.
* Would like to have a one day event each year (maybe in early June) with all leaders of all ministries to go over their respective calendars so that synergies could be identified and ministries could be even more interconnected. Everyone would be aware of what we’re each ministry is doing and we would all be on the same page. At that event we could collect from each ministry what they want in the visitor bags that year.
* Our website needs to be updated in a timely manner and freshened up a bit with video clips so as to attract people.
* Not only have Visitor Bags in every room, keep some on top of the mailboxes for any member to give out to someone who is identified as a visitor (may have signed the visitor log in your row as a visitor, you may find out while talking with them. We need to educate our members to do be ambassadors for Christ. Especially have a lot of bags available for Christmas and Easter.